About Me

My photo
I live on 6 deeply wooded acres in the boonies of Middleville, MI. I'm married to an amazing man, Brian. He's pretty much the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm a big animal lover. I have 5 cats; Bella (6), Cognac (3), Georgia (3), Maggie (2), & Auggie (8-9mos.) We recently lost our kittens, Aesop & Amelia, to a battle with Feline Leukemia. I feel the need to mention them. They were amazing beings that showed unconditional love like no other cats I've had. I also have Cheech (9) that I'm fostering. We have two puppies; Charlie & Henry. Having a blast! I'm a dabbler in photography, photo shop, & crafts. I'm kind of a bookworm/nerd/geek. Yes, I have read the Twilight Series. No, I'm not obsessed. I love Shakespeare, Nathaniel Hawthorne, C.S. Lewis, and L. Frank Baum - among others, obviously.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Summer" Lovin'

Hello! Coming up here in the next week or so I'll have a brand new blog with a brand new look! So, stay tuned on that!

I thought I'd give you a post today that wasn't about Henry, though, he'll be in a few pictures. I have a lot of pictures to show you today, too.

Brian and I have been so incredibly busy with our yard work. But it's so rewarding being able to say that we've done it ourselves. Sadly, I didn't take any before pictures so that you could see where we started.

We are loving this 80° weather in March:

Photobucket

Last weekend we cleaned our front garden:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

One of my lilies is coming up already:

Photobucket

Now, when I say we cleaned our front garden, that might not sound like a lot... But it really is. Like, really is. We live IN the woods. The leaves are never ending. Brian and I raked out as many leaves as we possibly could and also pulled up some iris bulbs that had gotten a little out of hand. If you want any bulbs, let me know.

Along with the front garden area, Brian and I also tackled a hillside that went out of control with a Vinca plant. When we moved to this house, we had no idea what some of these plants were nor did we know how much work they would be. I pulled one of the vinca vines out by the root and it was over 6 feet long. Imagine thousands of those overgrowing on a hill. It was horrendous and took us several hours. (Sadly, I didn't take any pictures.)

Now let's fast forward to this weekend. Someone is graciously giving us a 10' x 10' shed this week, so we needed to prep an area for its arrival. Brian went and bought some cement blocks and bags of gravel to make a level area.

I'd say he did pretty well:

Photobucket

Charlie enjoyed being out there with us:

Photobucket

Henry enjoyed doing his own thing while we were out there:

Photobucket
He now uses the cone to his advantage... He scoops up leaves in it and tries to eat them. How much more awesome can he be?

Brian found a salamander while prepping the area for our shed! We put him in a jar so we wouldn't step on him. We named him Cesar Salazar. We released him a little bit later.

Photobucket

We also cleaned out our three tiered garden! We finally have the time to actually garden in it this year! We're going to be growing roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, watermelon, pumpkin, green beans, cucumbers and chives/green onions.

Photobucket

We haven't quite cleaned it out completely yet, but we're almost there! It took us a long time with the leaves. Brian did a lot of that part for me since I kept getting bit by ants. Thanks, B! All that we have left to do is pull out some of the weeds that are left, till it, add in some good soil, and then wait until planting time!

The people that lived here before us left all of this (and more) in the tiered garden area:

Photobucket

It was a mess in itself since they were stuck in with two years worth of weeds. But, we can use them this year for our beans and tomatoes!

While working in the tiered garden we found this:

Photobucket

We think it's a strawberry plant. So, we're going to see what happens this year and if it produces any fruit.

I made this recipe yesterday. It called for fresh chives/green onions. So, we bought some, but I didn't really have the heart to throw out the bulb and root part of them. So, I found this site. Warning: the site plays music. If you find that annoying, scroll all the way to the bottom to turn it off. You basically just plant them into a pot and you can have an endless supply of green onions! How awesome is that!

So, I did it:

Photobucket

I also started my seeds for my roma tomatoes:

Photobucket

They'll take about 6-8 weeks until I can plant them outside in the garden. I planted 3 seeds in 4 containers. Hopefully my cats don't destroy them all in 6-8 weeks.

I snagged this picture today:

Photobucket

I love birds.

I forgot to post this in my blog from about a month ago. We bought this toy for Charlie and Henry. It's an interesting concept.

Photobucket

You can put entire meals or treats in it. In the holes on both sides are these little rubber spines. You cut them, however many you want, so that the treats will come out. You can make it so that they come out easily... Or not-so-easily. It's good for "plumper" pets because they exercise while they're eating.

We went with not-so-easy:

Photobucket

For some reason they kept taking it into the hallway.

They kept getting it stuck in the bathroom, too. As soon as they'd get it out...

Photobucket

It wound up in the bathroom again...

Photobucket

Henry was declared the winner:

Photobucket

I guess he must have an impressive jaw because he was able to pick it up and carry it off. After about 30 minutes of trying his hardest, he managed to unscrew the ends apart. We just let him have the treats in it.

It is a great toy. They're still really interested in it, too. We've actually had to hide it when they aren't playing with it.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures from today's post.
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment